Tuesday, May 20, 2003

So I've been really enjoying Plutarch these days. Originally, I had scheduled two weeks on the guy, but I have so thoroughly enjoyed his story telling, I pushed it to four weeks. We're reading his Lives. Theseus, Romulous, Demosthenes, Solon, Cicero, Alexander, Caesar, Pompey, Lycurgus, Antony, Brutus, Artaxerxes are just a few of the well known biographies. The thing that's especially cool about reading Plutarch is the fact that you're getting two history lessons at once. You're getting both the story Plutarch tells and the story that Plutarch is in. Plutarch is not shy about who he likes or what he thinks. That's cool. I like that. It's annoying how 'objective' modern historians try to be. What that really means is a writing style that is as dry as chalk and a little more interesting than reading science journals. There's a very flawed understanding of 'objective' at the bottom of that mess. We're reading 1 Maccabees next week. I'm looking forward to that. I've not read the Apocrypha before.

No comments: