Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Two wrong, two right

First off, I would just like to say that whoever came up with the "Titanic Slide Ride" is a sick person. Somewhere up in Couer D'alene, along the side of the highway there is some business (I want to say a car dealership) where there is this giant inflated, look-alike Titanic. And it's purposely tilted up so that it appears to be in the last moments above water. You can see a little over half of the ship: the other half, we are made to believe, is submerged already. But this is not a memorial, this is not a museum, this is a slide. People, kids even, can pay money and slide down the decks of the Titanic. It feels just like you were aboard the real thing! That's sick. I think I'm going to go out and start a business of my own: Twin Towers Bungee Jumping. I'm going to have look alike Towers complete with smoking holes from where the planes hit.

Second, in a cutesy, Halmark shop with the name of a cookie (I think). It is now possible to buy your very own bag of bat droppings. If you're from out of town and you'd like a bag, just drop me a note or leave a comment, and I'd be happy to go up and get you one. Seeing as there is such a shortage a bat poop, I'm sure glad these folks are bagging it and making it available for public consumption. This is just a guess, but I bet it makes great Christmas tree decorations.

But First of all, I am moderately pleased that the New York Yankees lost the other day. That means that the Florida Marlins are the World Series Champions. I'm not a big fan of the Marlins, but I'm certainly not a big fan of the Yankees. Thus my moderate enthusiasm. It was also a nice touch for Florida to beat New York in New York. I would have cared more had the Chicago Cups or Boston Red Sox gone to the World Series. Alas. But overall I can consider the defeat of the Yankees a good thing.

And Secondly, I attended the first ever "One Night" at the University of Idaho campus last night. It was a joint service of worship and prayer for all the Christian campus ministries. I'm excited about the prospects of the catholic Church here in the Moscow area. Last night was good for a first start in terms of campus ministry. I haven't sung praise choruses in a long time. And of the 8 or 10 that we sang, I only vaguely remembered one tune. One thing that's nice about the choruses is that they're simple enough to be learned easily. Though as far as I could tell, those of us from Trinity and Christ Church were the only ones who didn't know the songs. But that's ok. I enjoyed the clapping and overall enthusiasm of the worship, a whole area that reformed and presbyterian worship lacks much of the time. And although I hope to one day come to a "One Night" where we sing Psalms and Hymns and pray liturgical prayers together, I also hope one day to attend highly liturgical services at Trinity or Christ Church where the beauty of discipline and order is supplamented by the joy and (biblical) enthusiasm of clapping and dancing.

No comments: