Monday, December 04, 2006

Enemies come by Ones

As we enter the season of Advent, we are called to remember the coming of the Lord. Prior to the coming of the Lord, Israel was in exile for their sins and wickedness. When we sing, “Let every heart prepare him room” we are reminding all of the need we have to prepare ourselves for the coming of the Lord, to rid ourselves of sin. Every week we have a general confession of sin which we pray corporately together. This confession reminds us and God that we come before His presence in humility recognizing that we are here by grace. There is a place for confessing generally that we are sinful; that is what it is and why we have it. But sin is not normally to be confessed generally. When you confess sin, do not say I have been unloving, or disrespectful, or covetous. Say I was unloving when I barked a command at my wife, or I was disrespectful when I told another lady about my husband’s weakness, or I was covetous when my eyes lingered on the magazines behind the counter at the gas station. Yes, we are still fighting the effects of our former sin nature. But that nature has been put off and put to death. It is good to be reminded of how we got here and the fact that our standing is all of grace. But sin is particular. It is specific thoughts, words, and actions. And you will not have victory over nebulous, generic enemies. Enemies always come by ones. Sin is the enemy; therefore take your aim on whatever specific sins are in your life. Kill them and then move on.

No comments: