Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Struggling with Coolers


We all struggle with sin. We all have crosses to bear.

My son is no exception.

I do not point out my son's struggle because I wish to embarrass him or gloat or any such thing. Rather, the apostle Paul says in Romans that we ought not despair when we face trials and temptations because no temptation has overtaken us except that which is common to man. And when we are tempted, he always provides a way out.

My son has recently experienced the most accute temptations while at the grocery store. It's not merely the task of helping mom, keeping his hand on the grocery cart, or reigning in his little boy wiggles. No, those are small, vague challenges that shrink in comparison to the overwhelming giant of the deli and freezer coolers. You see, these are not just coolers. They are glass coolers. And they are cool. They are clear and shiny and they look yummy. They are the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. They are pleasing to the eyes, desirable to make one wise, and good for food. Please understand that it's not just any glass that has this effect on my son, it is the uniquely powerful seduction of the deli and freezer coolers.

My son has a deep and profound desire to lick the deli and freezer coolers. He wants to lick the glass. It was funny the first couple of times, but you know, moms can only watch that sort of thing a few times before the stomach turning begins. We now have to begin preparing for the temptation before we get to the store on grocery day. "Son," my wife says, "will you lick the coolers today at the store?" "No, ma'am." "What if they look really good?" "I won't do it."

My wife tells me that even after sincere oaths and promises like these, she has to watch him.

I suspect that this is a sign of some repressed feelings. Probably there's a name for this condition. There's probably a genetic predisposition for licking deli coolers somewhere in our family line.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely, the predisposition is from Jenny's side of the family. :-)
Love, Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Actually,
Toby used to lick our refrigerator door when he came to visit Jenny :)
Dad Jackson

Peggy said...

I think this is along the same temptation as the one where children (they probably still do it today) would lick the frozen metal monkey bars on the playground and then get their tongue stuck. Ouch!