Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Finney's Feeling of Justification

Charles Finney (1792-1875) on experiencing justification by faith:

"I arose upon my knees in the bed and wept aloud with joy, and remained for some time too much overwhelmed with the baptism of the Spirit to do anything but pour out my soul to God... In this state I was taught the doctrine of justification by faith as a present experience. That doctrine had never taken possession of my mind. I had never viewed it distinctly as a fundamental doctrine of the Gospel... I could see that the moment I believed, while up in the woods, all sense of condemnation had entirely dropped out of my mind, and that from that moment, I could not feel a sense of guilt or condemnation by any effort I could make. My sense of guilt was gone, my sins were gone, and I do not think I felt any more sense of guilt than if I never had sinned. This was just the revelation I needed. I felt myself justified by faith, and, so far as I could see, I was in a state in which I did not sin. Instead of feeling that I was sinning all the time, my heart was so full of love that it overflowed. My cup ran over with blessing and with love. I could not feel that I was sinning against God, nor could I recover the least sense of guilt for my past sins. Of this experience of justification I said nothing to anybody at the time." (The Autobiography of Charles G. Finney, 24-25)

Without completely dismissing the tremendous emotional relief of forgiveness and reconciliation with God, it's hard to miss the foundational role of feelings, senses, experience, emotion, etc. One wonders if he ever *felt* unjustified later.

1 comment:

BlueDog said...

Wow. This reminds me a lot of some emphases of D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones in books like The Sovereign Spirit, Joy Unspeakable, and even Spiritual Depression, especially the description of the experience as the "baptism of the Spirit." Of course, Lloyd-Jones (and many of the Puritans) wouldn't link such an experience with justification, but a second outpouring of the Spirit. For people like myself who not naturally emotional, though, hoping for such a strongly emotional experience can create a lot of frustration and bondage.