Monday, March 03, 2003

Bradbury &tc.

I don't know how many of you have read much Ray Bradbury, but I recently read a story called 'The Veldt' to my class from 'The Illustrated Man' (a collection of short stories). It's an amazing little number exemplifying the proverb that how ever you train up a child, when he is old he will not depart from it (which is not quite the same as it is usually quoted, btw). In our weekly Logic studies at Atlas, we read a chapter from Proverbs, discuss its contents and write short stories attempting to 'bury' various metaphors in our stories. It's cool to see someone doing it so plainly, to say nothing of his intentions.

On a completely different note, I'm thoroughly torn as to whether I should do the Fantasy Baseball thing this year. Honestly I've never done it before, and for that reason it's a bit of a stretch as it is. But I'm so limited in my free time, I wouldn't be able to put much time in. All the same it might be worth a year at the bottom of the dog pile, just to encourage me to keep up with the games and players.

And for one more completely different thought, I thought I'd begin advertising for myself since this is my blog. I'm directing a play right now, 'The Importance of Being Earnest'. If any of you'all are within an hundred miles you should consider coming down/up/over to see a show at the end of this month. We're opening on March 29th, with a matinee at 2pm at the Kenworthy Theatre in downtown Moscow. And tell your friends. Come see Woelke Leithart, Natali Miller, and Mark Beauchamp on stage.

No comments: