Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The associated press out of Anchorage, Alaska reports that polor bears may be resorting to canabalism. The artical is
here, but of course the root of all this "evil" is global warming, the all-purpose scarecrow of modern science.

I don't know.

First of all evolutionists can't say anything is "bad" or "evil." Secondly, why would they want anything to stay the same? In a world of evolution, change is the only thing there is, and therefore as close to "good" as one might find. And last, being a Creationist, my response is twofold: I'm still not convinced we have enough data to prove that global warming is in fact happening. Thrilling Hollywood movies aside, I'm not even convinced it's true.

But secondly, lets pretend for a moment that it is true: the world is in the slow cooker. Two things: one, I'm absolutely convinced that if this "warming" is bad, God will lead us into the wisdom necessary to deal with it. That might sound like a typical fundamentalist answer, but I do mean that we need to study more. So this isn't the responce of a Christian Emu; I'm not advocating closing our eyes and ears and humming one of our latest Power Hour Praise Songs. I'm just saying that God's in control, he designed the universe for our good, and if there's warming, we will find out. If we have harnassed the voo-doo of radio waves with cell phones, surely we can figure out global warming. And, while I have doubts about the extremity of green house gases, pollution, etc. I wouldn't be utterly undone to find out that we ought to be more careful with certain things. That's fine; we should be more careful if at the very least for aesthetic reasons.

But lastly, I wonder exactly what would be bad about global warming? What if the world is warming up, and what if that's what it's supposed to be doing? I know, we'd miss white Christmas and all that, but my understanding is that a warmer climate would melt some of the excess snow and ice, adding a bit more water to world. This would tend to create more of a green house affect, adding more moisture to the air, softening (perhaps) the direct angst of the sun.


Then we, like the famous Alaskan zucchini, would grow up bigger, stronger, and healther. I'm no scientist, so correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe we'd actually end up with something a little more Edenic, a more moderate, year round climate.

No comments: