Friday, June 16, 2006

Chapter Discrepancies

There are probably others, but I just found that Joel 2:28-32 has its very own chapter (chapter 3) in the Hebrew and Septuagint scriptures. This means that our chapter 3 is actually chapter 4 in the Hebrew and Greek. Also in Nahum, chapter 2 begins at our 1:15. Just curious about that. Who did it and why? The Psalms are all one chapter off. I can't remember exactly, but I think that Psalm 1 and 2 might be together in the older Scriptures (No, I just checked, it's somewhere else). Anyways somewhere there's a glitch, and it throws the references off for the rest of the book.

I assume that that the Hebrew Scriptures were given chapters and verses around the same time of the Septuagint. I guess the place to check would be the Vulgate as to where IT puts the divisions.

Aha. I've just checked, and the Vulgate agrees with our versions of Joel and Nahum. So my (shooting from the hip) hypothesis is that Jerome is responsible for the discrepancy. Way to go, Jerome.

No comments: