Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Liturgical Texts and DC Talk

For anyone interested in Greek Orthodox liturgy, this is a good resource. I've skimmed through several services and liturgies, and I think many of the prayers would be fitting in other branches of Christendom. Of course for all my openness to using bits and pieces or chunks of their services, I still get the willies with the scattered prayers to Mary. It isn't so prevalent that I can't recommend the texts, but it still shows up here and there. And I say this as someone fully aware of the necessity of recovering a rightful honoring of Mary, our "Most Holy Theotokos". But it is one thing to remember her faithfulness and bless her courage and piety (Lk. 1:48), and it is an entirely different thing to ask her to save you. As DC Talk once put it, "Jesus is still alright with me, Jesus is still alright, Oh-yeah." Oh, and the other thing that gives me the heeby-jeebies is their closed communion policy. Their "we're the true faith" mantra makes me feel woozy and reminds me of fundamentalism at its worst. I love my Orthodox brothers and sisters, and they would be most welcome at our table. I just wish they felt the same about me. And I'm quite sure that St. Paul would say the same (Gal. 2:11ff).

No comments: