Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Books and Culture on Sufjan

Come on and feel the Sufjan Stevens.

I'm fairly new to Sufjan. I enjoy what I've heard so far, but I tend to agree with the musical analysis of these guys. I appreciate the lyrics; and certainly appreciate his dislike for the "Christian Music" scene. I also really dig the concept album idea. I don't buy albums for one or two songs; I have a personal standard of insisting that all or nearly all of the songs be favorites before such a buy. So I'm already inclined to listen to albums as albums.

My son can already recognize when Sufjan comes on the iPod at home. He immediately says, "All things go! All things go!" (no matter what song comes on). I ask him, "Who's this, River?" And he says, "Sufjan!" So far, my son recognizes Jamie Soles, Johnny Cash, and Sufjan Stevens without prompting. I've tried to round out his musical education with a little J.S. Bach (which we listen to regularly), but he's been a little slower on that one.

No comments: