Monday, November 27, 2006

Onward Christian Soldiers

Thomas Epting died on Friday. He was sixteen years old. After battling leukemia as a young boy, Thomas was healed for several years before a relapse of cancer with five brain tumors. I did not know Thomas well at all. I only had the privilege of meeting him once. The other elder of Holy Trinity and myself visited him and his family to pray for his healing just three or four weeks ago. He was not wasted away as I had halfway expected him to be, but looked like a fairly healthy teenage boy. It was his face and posture that clearly showed a very sick young man. He was pale and his head hung down somewhat as he sat in a reclining chair. He did not say too much, but his few words were kind and appreciative of strangers who meant him well. His eyes were closed often during our time, but he followed the conversation and occasionally added a comment or two. He read the prayers with us as we prayed for peace, strength and healing. His left side was paralyzed by that time, and he moved very little. There was a place in the prayers for a particular word of encouragement or exhortation by the minister to the sick. It was not required that I say anything; it was merely an option given in the fine print. But I felt compelled to say something, to read something to this young man staring death in the face. We were praying for healing, but we were doing this by faith, seeing nothing to indicate that it was happening in the things that are seen, but believing that God was able to do such a thing. I finally decided to read him a war song; we all knew he was in a grave battle and I hoped to encourage him, to give him courage as the war grew grim and fierce. I read him the words to King Alfred’s War Song:

When the Enemy comes in a’roarin’ like a flood
Coveting the kingdom and hungering for blood,
The Lord will raise a standard up and lead His people on,
The Lord of Hosts will go before defeating every foe;
defeating every foe.

For the Lord is our defender, Jesu defend us.
For the Lord is our defender, Jesu defend.

Some men trust in chariots, some trust in the horse,
But we will depend upon the name of Christ our Lord,
The Lord has made my hands to war and my fingers to fight.
The Lord lays low our enemies but he raises us upright.
He raises us upright.

For the Lord is our defender, Jesu defend us.
For the Lord is our defender, Jesu defend.

A thousand fall on my left hand, ten thousand to the right,
But He will defend us from the arrow in the night,
Protect us from the terrors of the teeth of the devourer,
Imbue us with your Spirit, Lord, encompass us with power;
encompass us with power.

For the Lord is our defender, Jesu defend us.
For the Lord is our defender, Jesu defend.

From all accounts Thomas had a faithful and courageous testimony to the very end. I’m thankful to have met this young soldier and feel blessed to have been in the presence of one who is now standing in the throne room of our King. I trust and pray that his heart burned a little brighter as he faced his enemies like King Alfred and the many Christian soldiers that have gone before him.

I remember shaking his hand as I was leaving. His grip was still strong, and we held hands for a moment longer than most parting handshakes. For my part, I meant all the strength and encouragement a simple handshake could possibly convey, and I do not doubt that he meant all the gratitude he could muster in that lingering grip.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: