Friday, August 17, 2007

Jesse and Kate and the Summer

I've told my wife several times in the last few weeks that it will be nice when school finally starts up again. Things will slow down to a more normal pace, I think. It's been a great, fun-filled summer to be sure.

A trip to Idaho in early July for two weeks, a trip to Florida at the end of July, and a trip up the east coast to New Jersey, Brooklyn New York, and Maryland just last week all add up to great thankfulness for all the opportunities, people we visited and shared meals with, but at this point a deep gratitude to be home as a family, safe and all in one piece. Our car held up amazingly, although we actually only took it up the east coast (an airplane and rental car helped us on the other two journeys).

Our children continue to be happy gypsy-babies, traveling about at the drop of a hat and putting up with late nights, early mornings, and long hours in their car seats. Yet, River is just as thankful to be home as Jenny and I; he's told me so several times in the last couple of days. These travels have allowed me opportunities to fellowship with and learn from so many faithful men and their families. The time I spent with Hughes Oliphant Old at his house in Trenton last week certainly ranks up at the top of my highlights for the summer.

During these weeks and months, one of the great stories unraveling in Idaho is with my younger brother Jesse and his (now) fiance Kate Callihan. Jesse is going into his senior year at New Saint Andrews, has landed a job teaching Latin and Greek at Logos School, and is now planning to be married in late December. The guy has got class, courage, and good bit of cunning. I didn't really mean for that sentence to have such alliteration, but there it stands all happy and beaming.

There are several weeks left in my summer "vacation" in which a number of papers, lesson plans, and loose ends have to come together. There are many reasons to be grateful for all that we have been able to accomplish this summer. What a fun ride. God is very good.

4 comments:

Kate Sumpter said...

thanks for that, future brother-in-law. :) Doesn't your lovely wife have some photos that y'all took when you were here? I'd love to see those.

Peggy said...

Hey Toby, I see you haven't put a link to the blog Mom and I write on. You should do that! :) Great stories!
-Molly

Toby said...

Done, Molly. I'm sorry you had to ask!

Love,

Toby

Anonymous said...

Jesse was clever enough to conduct an entire conversation about future plans with me just the day before proposing -- *without* letting anything slip. Much better than I could've done.

Toby, sorry Kate and I missed getting to visit with you guys during your visit in July (we were out of town). We're both hoping to see you all in Moscow before long.

All the best.